Monday 14 September 2015

Gingerbread Cupcakes

Decided to make some more cupcakes didnt I!
Yes, Yes I did! I think they are some of the yummiest and some of my favourite cupcakes I have made. Now gingerbread anything usually appears on YouTube and blogs in late November and throughout December not mid September. I was a typical British rainy day when I made these and it felt very autumnal, I felt gingerbread cupcakes would be fitting in some way.

What you will need:

The Cakes:
120g butter (room temperature)
100g light or dark brown sugar
1 egg
120ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
165g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tea spoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Butter Icing:
110g Icing sugar
70g butter
Vanilla essence
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tea spoon ground ginger
mini gingerbread men

To begin with you want to line the cupcake tin and pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees.

1. In a bowl you want to add all of the dry ingredients; Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Mix all together and put aside for now.

2. In a separate bowl add the brown sugar and butter and mix together until smooth and creamy, using either a wooden spoon or a fancy mixer.

3. Next crack in the eggs and add the vanilla essence to the butter and sugar and mix away.

4. Grab the bowl of dry ingredients and start to add slowly to the ingredients and fold everything together. Once everything is mixed add the mixture evenly to the cases and pop into the oven for 10-15mins.

Icing:

Flavoured icing like this is something I have never done before so it was going to be all trial and error using spice. Even though the cakes contain some spice, having spice in the icing doesn't make it to spicey so dont worry about that.
To begin with you want to add the butter into the bow and mix it on its own for a bit before slowly adding the icing sugar. Along with the vanilla essence add in the cinnamon and ginger, I found when I was making these I couldn't taste the cinnamon at first, so dont over add it.
Once the cakes are completely cool pipe on the icing, Leave the cakes a while so the icing can set, once the icing is completely set you can taste spice in the icing.
Don't forget to add your little gingerbread men on top and if you want add some edible glitter.

These are some of my favourite cupcakes I have made, so enjoy making them!


1 comment:

  1. They look so good! Definitely going to try these x

    http://www.dailyjosefine.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete